Content pillars are the foundational topics or themes that guide your content strategy and planning. They are like the backbone of every piece of content you produce, representing the core focus areas for your content-creating efforts. Having content pillars is important because they provide structure and direction to your content, ensuring it aligns with your overall goals for your business and talks to your target audience.
Crafting content pillars for a Home and Lifestyle type of business for example if you do Room Makeovers, Upcycling old furniture, Decluttering, Homesteading, Interior Designing, Garden Makeovers, Garden Tips, Interior Tips, ... involves addressing the various aspects of what you do and what services you provide. Here are some broad ideas for four content pillars I would consider, think about them and adapt them to fit in with your business.
Inspiring Interior Designs - Content Pillar 1️⃣
- Room Makeovers: Showcase before-and-after transformations of rooms, providing inspiration for interior design enthusiasts. Try to remember to take some videos of the process while you are doing it, people love seeing transformations!!
- DIY Home Decor: Share creative and budget-friendly do-it-yourself home decor projects, then incorporate products you sell or are an affiliate for. So here for my business I could add in some essential oil blends for ambience. Or maybe you sell candles, or you make macrame wall hangings, slot in your speciality here.
- Colour Palette Trends: Discuss current and upcoming colour trends, offering tips on how to incorporate them into home interiors. You could create beautiful colour palette images which co-incide with your business, take a photo of something you create then do a colour match image, these look amazing on your feeds switch up the content a bit, you could add these in for each content pillar - why not! Check out some examples here - I love creating colour palette images!💡
Green Living and Sustainable Practices - Content Pillar 2️⃣
- Eco-Friendly Home Tips: Provide advice on adopting sustainable practices within the home, from energy-efficient appliances to eco-friendly cleaning products. Showcase eco-friendly products you use and how you use them in your daily life - advertise your own products if you have them, or approach the companies of the products you use to see if you can become an affiliate.
- Gardening for Sustainability: Share tips on sustainable gardening practices, such as composting, rainwater harvesting, and choosing native plants. Create how to video's like re-potting or your specific way of composting. Remember everyone has their own way of doing things and your way will resonate with the right people, you just have to put it out there.
- Upcycling Projects: Highlight creative ways to repurpose items and reduce waste through upcycling and repurposing. This can be anything from re-using packaging maybe in the garden as weed control, or maybe using old containers for starting seedlings, the options are endless if you just think about it for a second.
Home Improvement Insights - Content Pillar 3️⃣
- Renovation Success Stories: Share stories of successful home renovations, or projects you've been working on - furniture upcycling, clearing out cluttered spaces, offering practical tips and lessons learned.
- Maintenance Guides: Provide seasonal home maintenance guides to help homeowners keep their spaces in top condition. These are so easy to create then expand on and use each year, you could write a blog post for winter maintenance then take like 12 snippets from it and post one each week on your platforms, create a couple of videos as well for YouTube and refresh it each year!
- Expert Interviews: Conduct interviews with home improvement experts, interior designers, holistic design specialists, feng shui practitioners, or furniture shop owners discussing the latest trends and innovations in the field.
Outdoor Living and Garden Design - Content Pillar 4️⃣
- Garden Design Ideas: Showcase different garden design styles and provide tips on creating beautiful outdoor spaces., here you could create beautiful colour palettes by taking a photo of your masterpiece then matching the colours! 🎨
- Seasonal Gardening Tips: Offer advice on seasonal gardening tasks, from planting and pruning to pest control. Again write a blog post for each season as it comes and you will have months worth of snippets you can take from that original blog post. You can recommend products you use ie: homemade pest control or whatever it is you offer.
- Outdoor DIY Projects: Share fun and functional do-it-yourself projects for the garden, patio, or outdoor spaces. Take videos of you creating yourself beautiful spaces or spaces for clients. If possible and appropriate tag your clients in your videos and posts so you are getting more eyes on your content.
For all of these pillars if you are stuck search for a quote relating to your Home and Lifestyle business and make up some quote posts ready to go - I've got some free ones here if you want to use them and edit to make your own!
These content pillars aim to engage your audience with a mix of design inspiration, sustainable living practices, home improvement insights, and outdoor lifestyle content. Remember to adapt the content to your unique style and incorporate your core offerings, and don't forget to make it yours, be yourself and let the "you"ness shine through in all of your content. If you are being yourself you will draw the right people to you, the ones you want to work with.
Now that you have some ideas for your Content Pillars now what? Did you find that as you read through the ideas that more ideas came to you?
Get a pen and paper or open up a word document and start planning. Just starting I find helps you get into the right mood and ideas just start flowing. Grab my Content Planner Template below if you'd like too. to map our your plan and get creating. You can print out the pages you want to use and write up your plan, or use it in Canva. It's quite useful in Canva if you have someone helping you in your team, who uses your Canva as well, as they can add to it as ideas come to them. Don't have Canva? Canva is a free-to-use online graphic design tool. Use it to create social media posts, presentations, posters, videos, logos and way way more!
I resisted planning my own social media and all my content for so long - even though I tell everyone else to, AND I do planners for all of my clients content. 🙈 I have found now, that I actually sit down and make a plan - with my Content Pillars already sorted - life is so much easier. Walking the talk 🚶♀️